Sven Sester is the Minister of Finance of the Republic of Estonia from 23 November 2016. He is a member of Pro Patria and Res Publica Union.
- Sven Sester was also the Minister of Finance of the Republic of Estonia from 2015–2016.
- In 2009–2015, Sester was a member of XI and XII Riigikogu, Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Finance Committee and a member of the Economic Affairs Committee
- He has been Director and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Roosikrantsi Hotell Ltd from 2007-2015 and Director, Vice Chairman and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Baltic Real Investments (former ERI Real Estate Ltd) from 1993-2015.
- In 2003–2005, he was Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Eesti Loto
- In 2002–2003, he was a member of Tallinn City Council
- Sven Sester has also worked as the Director of ERI Real Estate Ltd, Commercial Director of Eries Ltd, Sales Manager and Manager of Selected Daily Mail Joint Enterprise and a data processing specialist and coordinator of data processing in the Mainor Centre for Public Opinion Research (later EMOR).
- Born in Tallinn on 14 July 1969, Sven Sester went to high school in Tallinn Secondary School No. 24 (Kopli Art School) and attained a higher education in information technology from Tallinn University of Technology.
Minister of Finance
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Finance is the manager of public finance, who co-ordinates budgetary and fiscal policy.
- The Minister of Finance leads the Ministry of Finance and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Finance to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
- The Minister of Finance appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Finance makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Finance decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Finance
- Is the Government’s expert in the implementation of financial and budgetary policy and the targeting of the economy.
- Plans the tax and customs policy and maintains a stable tax system.
- Prepares economic analyses and forecasts.
- Consults procurers and tenderers in conducting public procurements and monitors public procurement.
- Collects official statistics.
- Co-ordinates and manages the implementation of the internal control system in the Government and the professional activities of an internal auditor.
- Performs public accounting and manages the national daily cash flow.
- Places the state’s financial assets and liabilities, administers the external aid and loans granted to the state, and co-ordinates the sharing of benefits allocated to Estonia.
- Develops the financial and insurance policy.