Kalle Laanet is the Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia from 26 January 2021. He is a member of the Estonian Reform Party.
Kalle Laanet was born on 25 September 1965 in Orissaare. He is married and a father of a son and two daughters. In 2014, Laanet joined the Estonian Reform Party. In 2006, he was awarded the 3rd Class of the Order of the Cross of the Eagle. Since 2013, he is an Assistant Police Officer.
Employment history and career
- From 2007–2021, he was a member of the 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th Riigikogu.
- From 2005–2007, he was the Minister of the Interior.
- From 2004–2005, he was the Police Prefect of the West Prefecture of the Police and Border Guard Board.
- From 2002–2004, he was the Police Prefect of the Tallinn Prefecture of the Police and Border Guard Board.
- From 1995–2002, he was the Police Prefect of the Saare Prefecture of the Police and Border Guard Board.
- From 1993–1994, he was the Superintendent of the Department of Crimes against Property of the Central Criminal Police of the State Police Board.
Kalle Laanet graduated from the FBI National Academy in 1995 and from the Concordia International University in law in 2001.
In undertaking to perform the duties of a member of the Government of the Republic, I am aware that I shall bear responsibility in this office before the Republic of Estonia and my conscience. I solemnly swear to remain faithful to the constitutional order of the Republic of Estonia and to devote my strength to securing the welfare and future of the people of Estonia.
26. January 2021, Tallinn